Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ah, Manhattan, Manhattan! How I love thee.

Ahhhh ... nothing like going away for a spell to realize how much you really do love home. Last week I spent a handful of days in San Diego. I have to say that although I enjoyed the weather and the people (who are super-friendly, by the way), I just couldn't connect with the land. I usually have an easy time peeling away the layers of superficiality of wherever I am visiting, easily accessing the essence, the spirit. Sadly, it was not happening this time. Suffice it to say, it was not a love connection. I spent time with some very nice people, enjoying their company, but I could not shake the feeling of homesickness. Not to mention, I actually did feel physically unwell ... Miss Flow being in town and all. Okay so perhaps that is just T.M.I., but we're all grown-ups here. Or at least I hope we are. I am used to taking it very easy on those days, especially during times like this one that are extra "heavy." I just was not comfortable with myself. I felt drained, out of sorts, and even a bit like I had vertigo, which was probably also accountable to environmental allergies. Of course my immune system probably found something else in the air that it just did not like. LOL.

I got back home early Saturday morning, after flying back overnight. I managed about three winks of sleep on the friendly confines of Jet Blue, then I had a two-and-half hour ride back home to lower Manhattan from JFK. No, it wouldn't normally take that long in the wee hours of a weekend day. But since I took the Super Shuttle back home, I had to go with it. Luckily, I sat next to a nice older gent with whom I had a very pleasant, and at times witty, chat about all sorts of things. It was really what I needed. It made the trip seem faster.  When I got home, I was reunited with my sweet little guy, Pacino, the most adorable min-pin in the world. I missed him so very much. Mr Lion was home, too, cooking himself brekkie. I didn't even mind the smell of the frying turkey bacon. I was just sooooo grateful to be back in the comfort of our home. It was all a sight for sore eyes ... which, incidentally, finally got to close for a good four hours of sleep. Yay.

The next day we went to the East Village and visited Enz's vintage-style boutique (http://www.enzsnyc.com/). We had lunch at Quintessence (http://www.raw-q.com/) on East 10th, feasting on yummy raw goodness. They served us so much that I had leftovers. Sweet! Afterward we popped into Live Live (http://www.live-live.com/) next door. No, that's not a typo ;) Live (as in Live Free) and Live (as in Live from New York). From there we took a quick walk to Alphabet City and revisited El Jardín del Paraíso (http://evpcnyc.org/eljardin/) on 5th and Avenue C. We haven't been there in years, not since the filming of "The Garden of Eddie." Memories ... Then we sauntered up two blocks to Zum Schneider (http://www.zumschneider.com/) so that Mr Lion could have a real Deutsch bier and we could experience an authentic Oktoberfest celebration in the city. Finally it was then back home for us for some relaxing.

Since I experienced two time changes so close together, my sleep has been off. I fell asleep at a good time, but by 4:00 a.m. I was wide awake. Grrr. LOL. I didn't fall asleep again until after 8:00 a.m., waking up again at 11:30. Whoa! That threw me for a loop. LOL. But I was so grateful to get more shut-eye. Basically I did nothing much of the day. Just rested and rested some more. But I did some wifey-type of work around the apartment -- a quick vacuuming, dusting, and bathroom clean-up. The place was too dusty and my eyes were itching something fierce. Mind you, the last time it was vacuumed was last Tuesday. It's unbelievable how much crud accumulates in less than a week. Oh, and Pacino has conjunctivitis in both of his eyes, so I thought it was extra important to make sure that the flat was made spiffy.  And I prepared dinner -- cooked fish (for the Lion Man), broccoli (for us both), and salad for me. Señor Leon made socca (or fainá, depending on your preference) because I asked him to. Yum, yum.

Ha, here I am on Monday (9/30) in bed -- in the middle of the afternoon! -- catching up on some rest! No make-up, little sleep, but blissful. 

This morning (Oct 1st) -- C'est moi encore, enjoying a very rare cup of coffee -- caffeinated, no less! Pre-maquillage ... yes, I did apply some mascara and color to my cheeks and lips later today.

This morning, I woke up very early again. I fell asleep last night after midnight and awakened at 5:00 a.m. Unfortunately, I didn't find my way back to sleep. But I made do. I had a good day getting back into the swing of things -- a little bit anyway. I was feeling extra happiness and serenity being back. I walked up to TriBeCa and did some necessary shopping. Lot Less (http://www.lot-less.com/locations.html) proved to be fruitful -- I got a cutesy pair of headphones. I didn't really care that they are cutesy, but I desperately needed a pair in this style. The ear buds are made of a silicone-like type of plastic so that they rest softly inside my ears. So important! Somehow my favorite pair found an unhappy and untimely end on the plane. Don't ask. (See, that's why I learned my lesson long ago and never buy expensive headphones. The ones for $2.99 are okee-doke by me!) And I got several pairs of gorgeous tights -- some fishnets, some lace, one solid black. Then it was to Bed Bath and Beyond for household necessities -- dishwasher powder, Barkeeper's Friend, and two three-pack of pillar candles, which were just $2.99 each. Score! LOL. Walking up the Esplanade back home, I reveled in the Hudson River at my side, marveling at the wonderful sight of the sun glistening on the water and Lady Liberty in the harbor. My happiness and my love for the city intensified at that moment. Nothing and no one could break that enchantment.  I worked on some projects when I returned home, and then I prepared myself some dinnah while listening to the smooth sounds of Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. I got a brand new double CD, still shrink wrapped, at Housing Works thrift store today for only a buck. I dined solo as the Lion Man had to put in a few extra hours at the office. Now it's time for bed.

So when it comes down to it, I really do love New York. New York, New York it's a helluva town. New York, it's a heckuva state. Glad to be back in the Empire State and the greatest city anyplace.

October 1st -- Sunset as seen from the Esplanade. Glorious.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to visit you in New York ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most definitely would love having you here! : ) ♥

      Delete