Thursday, October 10, 2013

Just in time for Halloween!

Ah, lookie what landed into our home yesterday ... thanks to an amazing 50% off sale on the Criterion Collection webpage :) www.criterion.com/‎

Veronica Lake & Fredric March star in this 1940s classic

I love me a good witch. Personally, I am a more than a bit "over" the old hag image that clings to them. The Wicked Witch of the West with her nasty, ill-looking pea green face scaring the Beelzebub out of me notwithstanding, these magical ladies have been a fascination since I was a little girl. I adored Sabrina, the Good Witch and Wendy cartoons. Although she wasn't technically a witch, Jeannie was a favorite. And then, of course, there's Samantha (Sam) Stephens and her riotous clan of magic makers. I cannot express enough how I wanted to be Samantha. And at times, I was even more keen on being Serena because she just loved to have fun and be mischievous ... simply because she could. Heck, yeah! Years later my interest in Veronica Lake led me to "I Married a Witch." What can I say? I was smitten ... or rather bewitched.  It is based on the book The Passionate Witch, by Thorne Smith. The plot is very simple and so is the manner of film making that brought it to life. Who cares about that? In any case, it's good enough for Criterion Collection! 'Nuff said. Miss Lake is what you want and you boy, oh, boy do you get her in all her wavy-hair-cascading over her eye in that sultry way. In short, she's one damn sexy bruja! It's said that the film actually did go on to inspire the creator of "Bewitched." So, it comes full-circle for me. LOL. Oh, allegedly, he was also inspired by the play, then film, "Bell, Book and Candle." (Hey, Kim (née Marilyn) Novak is no slouch! She's super sultry as the beguiling Gillian in it. But that's more of a Christmas movie for me, and thus, I more than likely will blog about it then).  If you've seen either of these films, you can clearly notice the connections. Incidentally, the complete "Bewitched" series is forthcoming on DVD. Yay.

If you aren't lucky to be in possession of a BluRay player,  have no worries. "I Married a Witch" is on Hulu -- regular Hulu! No need for membership or forking out any dough. I watched it there two years in a row on Halloween. Hee-hee. Now I can see it in its full high definition glory. I am so looking forward to a a good witchy watching night soon!
 
Veronica is the prettiest, sexiest witch ever! -- Sorry Sam

2 comments:

  1. I love that film, I watched it as a little girl! It is apparently the inspiration for Bewitched, did you know that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it most certainly is, along with "Bell, Book and Candle." : )

      Delete